“Getting married, having kids, giving half of my life”

I had a lunch with one of my seniors back in St. Michael. He is doing very well now, in a research institute, looking at statistics and to see how our policies can be improved to narrow the gap of the poor and the rich as well as gender inequality, stuff like that. 

Anyway, after our “boring” discussions on Malaysian politics and economy, which I prefer not to bore you with, we talked a bit about our lives and how things have been. 

Senior: So, any plans of getting married? 

Me: Oh, not really. I don’t really believe in institutions.

Senior: Not even marriage?

Me: Ya but then again, it’s just the thought at the moment. Who knows what happens in the future? 

Senior: Well, ya, I guess it should be okay if the two of you don’t plan to have kids.

Me: Ya we don’t think we wanna have kids. I’m not sure how I could sacrifice half of my life for my kid. Somehow, I felt that once you have a kid, you have to give a big part of your life to your kid and I just don’t think I’m ready for it.

Senior: True. 

Me, trying to change subject, pointed to the fact that his office is nearby a mall and that he could actually go for a movie anytime. 

Me: It’s nice that your office is around here. Did you came over for movies after work and all?

Senior: Not really. Come to think of it, I have not been to a cinema for a long time. 

Me: Oh is it? Are you going to watch Endgame (referring to Avengers)? 

Senior: Well, I don’t think so. 

Me: Not a fan I suppose?

Senior: No no, in fact it is my kinda movie. 

Me: Oh then why not?

Senior: Well, I guess being a father and a husband, giving half of my life for that, you know. 

Ooops…



Anyway, my point is: if you are not ready to sacrifice your life like how your parents did for you, I don't think you're ready to be a parent. I'm thankful to have both my parents who gave up theirs so that I could live up to my potential. 

Billy Toh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram